This cynical world we live in


Hey you! Yes, you there behind the computer screen, reading these lines out of boredom and too many free time you don’t know how to waste, I’m talking to you! Do you know how it feels to be alive and well? It is truly a privilege, I’ll tell you.

What is your first thought when you wake up every morning? It is probably, “What should I eat this morning?” Or “Should I wake up and go to work? I’m too tired from last night’s hangover.” Well if that sounds like you, you are one of the luckier humans on this planet.
You see, there are thousands of children on the streets of Brazil, whose thoughts every morning would probably be, “How do I survive this one more day?” They scavenge for food in the trash bins every day. They sleep every night in abandoned houses that no one wants to live near. And they are constantly on the run away from hit squads, whose sole purpose is to hunt them down for a bounty. Did I say “hunt” and “bounty”? Yes I did, your eyes didn’t deceive you and neither did I; those little rascals are worth fifty bucks a pop, in fact. The world to them is not all rainbows and butterflies, I don’t know if at all, but it is rather a hostile, brutal and murderous one: it wants them dead.
You must be completely blind and deaf to not see the stark contrast between them and you, with your spoiled, lazy, fattening lifestyle. And I am so ashamed to be a part of this lifestyle. You see, I am writing this from a couch, eating our afternoon snack, watching a stupefying TV show about how how rich people struggles to decide whether to buy a nice house for five hundred grands or a slightly less nice house for a measly three hundred grands. And the kid in this household, he whines about how he is so hungry because he only ate a whooping four hours ago, he cries about how he has not gotten any new toy in the last three weeks, and he gets angry and throws his handheld gaming console away because he failed to beat a level there. And am I any better? I don’t think so; I am frustrated because I have so many things I want to buy and so little money to afford all that, I hate my work because the boss does not appreciate me and my “talent”, I waste hours and hours of my precious, limited life on cheap, trivial and distracting entertainment that the Corporations ram down my throat. Are you any better? I can’t judge because I don’t know who you are; but if you are one of the lazy, selfish, ignorant and ungrateful people who take life for granted, I have one thing I want to say to you: It’s not too late to change yourself. Please, don’t add anymore hurts into this already agonizing world; don’t add anymore insanity into this already cynical world; don’t add anymore apathy into this already cold, distant world. I know my words are cliché that have been repeated a thousand times before, in heart-warming stories told to children if they don’t want to go to bed; but somehow I still find it necessary to say this: Please love your fellow humans who are not as lucky as you. Please, for the sake of humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flag-burning, symbolism and the case against Patriotism

Pathways to Utopia

How to live your damn life